Evaluating and measuring tinnitus can often prove complex and challenging. However, our specialist knowledge in this field of audiology ensures that we collect all the information required to not only help us fully understand the unique qualities of your tinnitus perception but also select the most appropriate therapy option that will provide you with effective and sustainable relief from your tinnitus.
The assessment includes the following:
- Completion of evaluative questionnaires
- Review of otological and tinnitus history
- Otoscopy – Physical examination of the outer and middle ear structures
- Tympanometry – A test to check middle ear function
- Pure-tone-audiometry – – A test to check hearing acuity along the auditory pathway
- Loudness Level Tests (where appropriate) to check hearing sensitivity
- Minimum Masking Level Test – To assess tinnitus loudness
- Pitch Matching Test– To identify the approximate frequency of your tinnitus
Your audiologist will then explain your results in a non-technical, jargon-free way, that will give you a full understanding of your tinnitus. Your audiologist may offer treatments or therapies to treat your tinnitus if appropriate. This does not always mean tinnitus treatments. In fact, there are variety of tools and coping strategies that could also help people to live well with tinnitus. For more information about treating and managing tinnitus, please read our Treating & Managing Tinnitus page.
If you have any queries at all about our tinnitus services or would like to arrange a Tinnitus Assessment, please don’t hesitate to contact us on 01765 278 744 or fill in the contact form on this page.